[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Apr 18 15:31:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I played around a bit with the edit keys menu.  What I'm seeing is that,
> even though I have keys that are recognized by ir-keytable -t, many of them
> are not recognized by the mythtv edit keys menu when I push the remote
> button to program the mapping.  Some work, but many do not.  What is the
> path forward for keys that are apparently unrecognized?

It's a fundamental problem with X.  X.org currently has no way to
handle multi-byte key codes (anything larger than 255) but the
standard key tables shipped with ir-keytable use exactly such codes.
They work on the console, but not in X.

What I do is load a nonstandard remote keytable.   In
/etc/init.d/rc.local I have:

logger "Setting IR Keymap..."
/usr/bin/ir-keytable -c -p RC-5,RC-6 -w /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce

And in /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce I have:
mythtered% cat /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
# table rc6_mce, type: RC-6
0x800f0400 KEY_KP0
0x800f0401 KEY_KP1
0x800f0402 KEY_KP2
0x800f0403 KEY_KP3
0x800f0404 KEY_KP4
0x800f0405 KEY_KP5
0x800f0406 KEY_KP6
0x800f0407 KEY_KP7
0x800f0408 KEY_KP8
0x800f0409 KEY_KP9
0x800f040a KEY_DELETE
0x800f040b KEY_ENTER
0x800f040c KEY_KPSLASH                # Power
0x800f040d KEY_M                    # Left Meta, Start
0x800f040e KEY_MUTE
0x800f040f KEY_I                    # Info
0x800f0410 KEY_PAGEUP                # Volume Up
0x800f0411 KEY_PAGEDOWN                # Volume Down
0x800f0412 KEY_CHANNELUP
0x800f0413 KEY_CHANNELDOWN
0x800f0414 KEY_Z                    # Fast forward
0x800f0415 KEY_R                    # Rewind
0x800f0416 KEY_PLAY
0x800f0417 KEY_RECORD
0x800f0418 KEY_PAUSE
0x800f046e KEY_PLAYPAUSE
0x800f0419 KEY_STOP
0x800f041a KEY_NEXTSONG                # Skip Next
0x800f041b KEY_PREVIOUSSONG            # Skip Previous
0x800f041c KEY_NUMERIC_POUND
0x800f041d KEY_NUMERIC_STAR
0x800f041e KEY_UP
0x800f041f KEY_DOWN
0x800f0420 KEY_LEFT
0x800f0421 KEY_RIGHT
0x800f0422 KEY_ENTER                # Ok
0x800f0423 KEY_ESC            # Back / Exit
0x800f0424 KEY_DVD
0x800f0425 KEY_TUNER
0x800f0426 KEY_G
0x800f0427 KEY_W
0x800f043a KEY_BRIGHTNESSUP
0x800f0446 KEY_TV
0x800f0447 KEY_AUDIO
0x800f0448 KEY_PVR
0x800f0449 KEY_CAMERA
0x800f044a KEY_VIDEO
0x800f044c KEY_LANGUAGE
0x800f044d KEY_T
0x800f044e KEY_PRINT
0x800f0450 KEY_RADIO
0x800f045a KEY_SUBTITLE
0x800f045b KEY_RED
0x800f045c KEY_O                    # Green
0x800f045d KEY_YELLOW
0x800f045e KEY_Z                    # Blue
0x800f0465 KEY_POWER2
0x800f046e KEY_PLAYPAUSE
0x800f046f KEY_MEDIA
0x800f0480 KEY_BRIGHTNESSDOWN
0x800f0481 KEY_PLAYPAUSE

This mapping only covers the keys that I use and care about.  Some of
the original mappings > 255 are still in there (e.g. KEY_RED) but I
just don't use those.  You can customize this table to your liking.

Eric