[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Apr 18 13:10:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Zarthan South <zarthan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a forum moderator for a large commercial software vendor and constantly
> need to warn vendors about blatant advertising of their products. If it was
> truly a violation and not a "bad blood" retaliation it should have been
> handled differently. I never do it publicly, but send them a PM and lock or
> remove the thread. The contents of this thread would never have been allowed
> to go on. A PM to Robert should have asked him to stop and post his apology
> for disrupting the the posted rules for the mailing list. The results here
> have done nothing but disappoint participants and tarnish this amazing
> product.

That may work for an internet forum, but it doesn't work so well for a
mailing list. This list is just a series of emails. There's no thread
to lock. Anyone can send a message with any subject they want. The
list software probably doesn't provide any means for filtering based
on subject line (which would be very error prone). There's no way to
delete the thread either, short of hacking into every subscribers
email account. Now, it's possible someone could clean up the archives
that are kept on the gossamer-threads website, but that's not the live
mailing list.

--
Ron Frazier