[mythtv-users] Alternatives to MythMusic in 0.25, has anyone already found one?

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:36:37 UTC 2012

On 17 April 2012 21:20, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Gordon McCrae <gordon.mccrae at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've just installed MythTV 0.25 on my test rig, and while I'm
>> generally incredibly impressed by it I'm afraid I have to agree with
>> the various people who've already bemoaned the move away from
>> directory tree structure for music selection.
>>
>> Having said that, I'm happy to accept that at the end of the day, I
>> can't write the code so I have to take what's available and get on
>> with it.
>>
>> My kids however find it impossible to get their little minds around
>> the new system (and dad isn't much better off to be honest), so I'll
>> need to find an alternative.
>>
>> Not wanting to reinvent the wheel, and conscious that compiling the
>> old 0.24.x MythMusic to work with 0.25 is a very temporary solution at
>> best, I'd like to know if anyone else out there uses alternative music
>> players that implement the same sort of ARTIST/ALBUM/SONG structure
>> that the old MythMusic used and can be controlled simply with a remote
>> control (no keyboards on any of my eight MythTV systems).
>>
>> I recall briefly seeing the likes of Banshee and Amarok, and if memory
>> serves, they follow the same sort of concept of the 0.25 MythMusic, so
>> they're out (I believe).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Gordon
>
> I have never been a fan of MythMusic (and have not looked at .25's
> implementation yet).  What I did in the past is make my mythbox a
> squeezebox server and put on a squeezebox frontend on the frontend I
> use (it happens to be the same machine as I only have a combined
> FE/BE).  Then you can use any web browser as a remote or get iPeng for
> the iPhone/iPod/iPad to use as a remote.  Nothing visual is displayed
> on the tv so this might not be what you want and there are a couple
> extra tricks you need to do to run it.
>
> Now, with .25 supporting AirPlay, I suspect I will just stream
> whatever music is on my iPhone to my mythbox.  Again, this uses the
> iPhone sort of as a remote and you are limited to just what is on your
> iDevice, but this is another solution.
I was actually perfectly happy with the old MythMusic, but let's not
go into that, at the end of the day some people are working hard to
produce new software for MythTV, and most people probably prefer the
"everything is a playlist" approach, so who am I to complain? The 0.25
version certainly looks prettier, and has many options, it's just the
playlist thing that totally confuses my wife and kids, and even I
struggle to use it without wishing the old method was still around.

No Apple devices in house, besides I wouldn't want to give a
smartphone to a small child to use as a remote anyway even if I did
have them, but the squeezebox angle sounds interesting I'm sure I
configured that once back before MythTV when I used Hauppauge MVPs,
I'll have a look at the Linux solutions for on-screen players for
that, thanks for the tip!

Cheers
Gordon