[mythtv-users] Commercial detection in the UK (Was: THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review))

Robert Longbottom rongblor at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:20:20 UTC 2012

On 17 Apr 2012, at 02:02 PM, Thomas Boehm <mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net> wrote:

> Chris Oattes wrote:
>> I'm looking at that script now, and it seems that it doesn't actually run
>> silence detection for any of the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 or Channel 5 groups
>> of channels (See the whitelist function ).
>
> It looks trivial to me to change that in the script. You seem to have
> found the right part already.
>
> # Check if channel is known to work with Silence_detect
> # $1=callsign
> Whitelist() {
>    case "$1" in
>        BBC*) return 0 ;;
>        ITV*|STV|UTV|CITV) return 0 ;;
>        Channel?4*|More4*|More?4*|E4*|S4C|Film4*) return 0 ;;
>        Channel?5*|5*) return 0 ;;
>        CBS?Action*|CBS?Drama*|CBS?Reality*) return 0 ;;
>        True?Movies*|True?Ent) return 0 ;;
>        horror?ch*) return 0 ;;
>        movies4men*|mov4men*) return 0 ;;
>        Men*Movie*) return 0 ;;
>        Dave*) return 0 ;;
>        Import?#*) return 0 ;; # For testing
>    esac
>    return 1
> }
>
> I use the script from here
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythcommflag-wrapper
>
> and removed all the white and blacklist stuff. It works very pretty well
> on all channels.

I'm also using the silence detect script in the uk on dvbs channels - all the main ones that have adverts - and I find it works pretty well most of the time too.

The only issue I have with it is that you have to wait for it to run before starting to watch a recording or none of the breaks seem to be notified. If you quickly exit and restart playback then the do get notified. It's hardly a major issue however.

Robert.