[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 09:23:27 UTC 2012

Gavin Hurlbut wrote:

>  > And if we're being pedantic, then look at the wording : "... advertisement
>>  or support of any commercial products, whether they be MythTV related or
>>  not"
>>
>>  So no discussion of support of cable services, satellite services,
>>  commercial streaming services, commercial listing services, tuner cards,
>>  remote controls, hard disks, video cards, TVs, the list goes on. Doesn't
>>  exactly leave a lot to discuss !
>
>If I see a cable company advertising in here, I'd be saying the same
>thing.  This list isn't for commercial use, it is for user support
>discussions for MythTV.

Someone didn't read did they ?
The wording given said "no discussion of ...", it didn't say "no
discussion of ... by the vendor". So according to the "rule" as
described, there should be no discussion of any of those topics.

Now, if what was written is what was meant, then that's a different
issue. But you can't go saying "the rule is <something>" when that
<something> is something that constitutes a significant part of the
list traffic.

And of course, now someone has posted a link to the actual wording,
it says something different again.

>  > Just for good measure, discussion of hooking up a satellite/cable/whatever
>>  box via analogue to a capture card breaches the DMCA - but it's discussed
>>  openly. The use of CableCards is discussed openly, but discussion of CAM/CI
>>  is forbidden even where it is perfectly legal (yes I do understand where
>>  that comes from, but still ...)
>
>Recording from analog is not a breach of the DMCA in any way I have
>ever heard.  That's perfectly legitimate use of the signal they
>provide.

You think so ?

>The use of CAM/CI is not forbidden.  Discussion of misusing,
>sharing, bypassing CAM/CI is forbidden.  You are not correct here :)

Sorry, that is rubbish. I've seen several threads where someone has
come here, asked about CAM/CI, stated that it's allowed by the ToS of
their service - and without exception that I can remember they'd been
told to go away even though (in your own words) "That's perfectly
legitimate use of the signal they provide".
Discussion of CableCard is OK because it's something those of you in
the US are now expressly allowed to use - however discussion of it's
use in (say) Canada (where it isn't) is a breach of the US DMCA.

Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  We're all humans, if open source means you can't be annoyed that
>>  someone is making money of your work, you're deluded.
>
>I wonder if the Apache developers are annoyed that there
>are companies making billions of dollars from supporting
>LAMP?
>
>If someone making money off ones work annoys one,
>perhaps one should consider another license for ones
>next project.  And anyone who contributes code under
>a specific license should be well aware of the implications
>of that code being leveraged under those license terms.

I was thinking that myself. If "someone not making money from your
work" is an objective then GPL isn't the licence for you to write
under. If you do write under GPL then that's a risk you take - and
getting upset if someone does shows a distinct naivety.

In that snipped of (I assume) IRC chat, it's clear that some devs are
taking the attitude that "I wrote that bit, how dare ..." Everyone
who's contributed to the project has "written a bit" of it - that's
collaborative development.
I wonder if the LinuxTV project get at all annoyed that they do all
this work to make inputs work - and MythTV gets all the credit ?

Isaac Newton wrote "If I have seen further it is by standing on ye
sholders of Giants" - isn't that how projects like this happen ?

I'll still hold the position that a polite request would have
sufficed. And I can't help thinking that the tone of the original
demand was definitely coloured by personal issue and project politics
- of the sort that those close to the issue are unable to see.

--
Simon Hobson