[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Apr 17 04:28:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 17 April 2012 13:23, Christopher Kerr <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
> > Yep. The first thing I did after reading Chris' message was to check if
> > there was a stable release of Torc yet. The MythTV devs do a great job,
> but
> > right now they're treating the end user as a second class citizen.
>
> Oh, come on !
>
> how is asking to talk about commercial products elsewhere got anything
> to do with "treating the end user as a second class citizen"

Is the commercial product of benefit to MythTV users? Then the natural
place for its discussion is amongst MythTV users....on the cannily named
"MythTV-Users" list. And when those same users complain about the developer
response? You tell us that your rules are for our own good - we're just the
users, after all, why should our opinions matter? Maybe a rule change would
be considered - if we provided a patch.

But frankly my complaints are much broader than that. MythTV 0.25 took
about 18 months, and ultimately failed to deliver:

- The promised replacement for mythtv-setup
- Anything resembling a useful version of MythMusic
- Any improvements at all to the utterly broken state of commercial
detection in Australia and the UK

I've followed the development closely, and I know that 0.25 brings lots of
changes "under the hood", which is great, but what do we have to do to get
long-standing usability problems addressed? (Hint: If your answer is "write
a patch", you're not helping. Some people have too much on their plates
already, that doesn't make their opinions worthless) The features that get
implemented seem to have absolutely no correlation with what the users
asked for. In the case of the MythMusic rewrite, ideas were solicited and
then utterly ignored, resulting in a new interface many users find
completely inscrutable - not for the first time, we've been handed an
"improved" interface which seriously regresses on the one we were
complaining about before!

- Chris