[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Apr 16 21:44:01 UTC 2012

* On Tue Apr 17, 2012 at 09:36:35AM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> > This mailing list is for the support of MythTV users using MythTV
> > and is not to be used for advertisement or support of any
> > commercial products, whether they be MythTV related or not.
> >
> > Please continue this discussion elsewhere.
>

> Oh come off it Chris, this is of high interest to many people. If that
> is the case please make sure you never discuss schedules direct, which
> charges.

Schedules Direct doesn't come into the -users list for support. SD has
its own forums.  SD is also a non-profit.  If Hauppauge or Ceton or
NVidia or ATI or Intel or anyone else came in here advertising or
using this as a support channel for their commercial products, we'd
say the same thing to them.

> I suspect your reaction has more to do with personal issues, which
> have less relevance to the list, and less place on it, than Robert's
> posting.

If I let my personal issues be part of my reaction then that would have
been a lot longer email.  I was the one to send the email, but I ran it
by several other developers before sending due to the situation.

> PS I have also seen suggestions to use plex on android for accessing
> mythtv, plex is a paid app on android, I didn't see you leap all over
> that.

OK, thanks for the reminder.  Next time I see the creator(s) of Plex on
one of our MythTV mailing lists promoting their product, I'll remember to
do the same thing.  I didn't call out Torc for iOS specifically, this
rule applies to any commercial entity.  Suggestions from one user to
another user recommending a product is not the same as the product
vendor (and yes, Robert is a vendor in this case) coming in and
advertising a product.

--
Chris Pinkham