[mythtv-users] THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST (WAS: Re: Torc for iOS - Application Submitted to the App Store for Review)

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:36:51 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> This mailing list is for the support of MythTV users using MythTV
> and is not to be used for advertisement or support of any
> commercial products, whether they be MythTV related or not.
>
> Please continue this discussion elsewhere.

Sure.  I'm sorry you feel this isn't germane to MythTV.  I am happy to
respect your wishes and keep it off of your lists.  They are, of
course, your infrastructure and therefore I am happy to abide by your
rules.  I hope that those with an interest in this kind of product
will seek another forum, and are welcome to contact me privately or
through my site.  For the record, I am enormously appreciative of the
work Chris did in adding HLS streaming to MythTV, and to David Blain
before him to writing the Service API infrastructure.  I hope that I
have done my part in adding the many APIs required to make the iOS app
possible, such as recording scheduling, video library manipulation,
artwork support, and many, many others.

#mythtv:

[21:14:47]	Captain_Murdoch:	just to doublecheck.... does anyone object
to me sending an email to the -users list regarding the "Torc for iOS"
thread that basically is an advertisement and support thread for
Robert's commercial iOS app that he is charging for?
[21:16:20]	Captain_Murdoch:	if he can get his 70% of $3.99 per user
then he can pay to support them and advertise in his own forum
somewhere.
[21:23:15]	Beirdo:	Fine by me
[21:24:08]	stuarta:	perhaps we could negotiate a 50% cut for providing
all his infrastructure?
[21:24:14]	Captain_Murdoch:	and if anyone is interested, yes, I'm a
little annoyed that if it weren't for HLS support that I wrote, that
his app would be just a glorified remote control.
[21:25:03]	stuarta:	that would royally piss me off
[21:25:25]	gigem:	Captain_Murdoch: fine with me too.
[21:25:47]	Beirdo:	yeah, we put in a lot of debugging effort to make
crap work... for him to profit off.
[21:26:04]	gigem:	stuarta: i hate it when the crickets start chirping.
it makes it diffcult to sleep. :)
[21:30:26]	Beirdo:	for me, usually it's the birds at like 5am :)
[21:32:25]	Captain_Murdoch:	initial comment will be short and to the
point... "This mailing list is for the support of MythTV users using
MythTV and is not to be used for advertisement or support of any
commercial products, whether they be MythTV related or not. Please
continue this discussion elsewhere." with a subject line change to
prepend "THIS IS A NON-COMMERCIAL MAILING LIST" so it stands out.
[21:33:21]	Captain_Murdoch:	and that has nothing to do with my opinion
of him. if it were Hauppauge or Ceton or NVidia or ATI in here
advertising, I'd say the same thing.
[21:34:26]	Beirdo:	yeah, good point

All the best,

Robert