[mythtv-users] Finding a suitable device for a Harmony remote

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 19:53:05 UTC 2012

On 22 March 2012 21:52, Richard Woelk <richardwoelk at gmail.com> wrote:

> to record, irrecord needs direct access to the IR hardware. First make
> sure lircd is not
> running.
> next, you need to specify your hardware device, By your device statement,
> it looks like
> you are using devinput.
> To record from devinput, you need to specify it as a driver as well.
>
> irrecord -d /devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input7 -H devinput remote.conf
>
> if you have a partial lircd.conf that works, you can bypass the timing
> recording, and use
> the exisitng as a template.
> copy lircd.conf from /etc/lirc to a temporary location as "remote", then
> run
>
> irrecord -d /devices/virtual/rc/rc0/input7 -H devinput remote
>
> this will read the file remote, copying the IR timing information, and
> just record new
> buttons. It will output remote.conf with only the buttons you have
> learned. You will need
> to merge the new key commands into the old lircd.conf
> you might also want to use the irrecord option --disable-namespace (before
> the remote.conf
> file), as this will allow you to use any name for your buttons, instead of
> the
> standardized list
>
> - Richard

Richard,

thanks for the information, have had this in my list to reply to for a
while now, apologies!

I did get everything working in the end and figured out some of my
mis-understandings along the way.  I now know much more about lirc and its
associated applications, just took me a while to get there!

I did not realise that irw only gives output if there is an associated
entry in the lircd.conf file, which of course was why I was getting no
reading.

In the end, I just looked through the mceusb list of button names in the
lircd.conf file and popped those on the buttons I wanted in the Harmony
software, rather than trying to record the new entries.  Matched all of
this up in the lircrc file and everything is great.  Also setup some
jump-points, which I love!

I do find lirc a bit sluggish sometimes, which could be down to my
hardware, but isn't causing me any real issues.  Love the Harmony remote
and may well set the same up on my other frontend.

Thanks for the help

Martin