[mythtv-users] Looking for clarity on MythTV, to LIRC, or not to LIRC, ir-keytable, and key mappings

Dave Brown davebrown099 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 11:42:10 UTC 2012

Some people prefer handling remote control input using Xorg, and some
> people prefer handling remote control input using LIRC .
>
> Thanks to Jarod's hard work, the LIRC kernel modules are being integrated
> into the mainline kernel. These integrated kernel modules appear as event
> input devices and support the video4linux remote control API (<
> http://linuxtv.org/**downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/remote_**controllers.html<http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/remote_controllers.html>>).
> As a result they can be handled by Xorg and they can have their keys
> remapped using ir-keytable.
>
> I prefer to use LIRC rather than Xorg for my remote control inputs. I use
> eventlircd (<http://code.google.com/p/**eventlircd/<http://code.google.com/p/eventlircd/>>)
> to route the event devices created by the LIRC kernel modules through LIRC.
> eventlircd is capable of mapping key combinations (such as Alt+P). In fact,
> that is the primary reason that I wrote eventlircd.

I prefer to use LIRC but having some problems as there are two remote
sensors (one is on a usb tuner card)  The rc0 uses lirc0 and in my
hardware.conf is set to REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0".
They switch about on cold reboot stopping the remote from working.  Is
there anyway to get the mce to stay against rc0?  I have tried setting both
rc0 and rc1 to use LIRC but that makes not difference.

Thanks

ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
	Driver cx88xx, table rc-hauppauge
	Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY LIRC
	Enabled protocols: LIRC
	Extra capabilities: <access denied>
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event4) with:
	Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce