[mythtv-users] 0.25 Music & Videos Questions

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 14 00:33:13 UTC 2012

On 04/13/2012 06:58 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
>>> I'd have to say that's a "double" bug, then.  Shutting Myth and
>>> rebooting your system from the mechanism that Myth itself provides,
>>> should work as a "clean" exit.  Remember, once again, most of us
>>> only have remotes to interact with Myth with, so how would one
>>> propose restarting or shutting down (which I do every night, it runs
>>> off an SSD and the cold boot up time is negliable and sleep does not
>>> play well with it) the frontend otherwise?  The second side of this
>>> is the fact (as stated in the ticket) that MythMusic is saving
>>> playlists on frontend exit instead of on change, which seems rather
>>> backwards.
>> From my standpoint, the mere ability for an unprivileged user to shut
>> down the system is a bug (or, more properly, bad design).  So, since
>> I don't allow MythTV user to shut down my systems, I'll leave it to
>> others who do to fix any issues in the
>> shutdown-through-ripping-the-rug-out-from-under-MythTV process.  :)
>
> This is a standalone frontend, which I (and more importantly the wife)
> views as nothing more than an appliance.  You turn appliances off when
> you're not using them, preferably with the remote that came with
> it...no different than a TV.  You don't need to be "special" to turn
> the TV off, you simply press the power button.  I'd think most people
> would expect to be able to "press the power button" (exit and reboot)
> from the appliance's on screen menu and have it do what ever it is
> it's supposed to do, properly.

Ignoring the fact that on most of the appliances (at least STBs and
such...), when you hit the power button it does little more than shut
off the display output...

> Do you know what happens when one selects "Yes, Exit" from the MythTV
> menu? That seems to work properly, so why can't it be done prior to
> the reboot in the "Exit and Reboot" option

I'm pretty sure it is doing the same thing--the difference being that
before we exit, it sends the dbus command to shut down your system, then
it starts to exit, but dbus rips the entire system out from under us
before we finish exiting, so...

> ...even if it has to be done via a script that gets called from this
> menu option?

You can use a script, but you almost definitely haven't configured a
script and your distro is almost definitely using dbus.

> Bear in mind, I am not using the Menu from a static screen i.e. the
> main menu which brings up a list of options "Enter Standby Mode",
> "Shut Down", Reboot", "About" (because these menu options don't and
> never have worked for me...most likely due to the fact that my current
> user doesn't have proper permissions to do this).  I am pressing "Esc"
> from the main menu, which brings up a different menu and the option
> specifically says "*Exit* and Reboot".

Try writing a script and configure MythTV to use that (instead of the
"let's use a dbus shutdown even if the user hasn't configured shutdown")
and put in a delay (or some kind of poll to see when the frontend
finally finishes exiting) and see if it works that way.  If so, you can
use that as a workaround for MythMusic's requirement that you exit
mythfrontend properly and/or a workaround for the fact that dbus
shutdown doesn't let mythfrontend exit properly.

Mike