[mythtv-users] simultaneous viewing

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 09:16:50 UTC 2012

Nick Rout wrote:
>tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>  >> ... and I pause my playback ... and havoc engulfs the multicast users (or
>  >> worse pause has no effect)
>  >
>  > If I was doing this one thing I'd design into this would be a web
>page which
>>  pauses ALL linked frontends (expect android to display this page) however
>>  single remotes would ordinarily still be able to interfere....user
>  > discipline or more complex design are likely options....

I'd implement it in such a manner that one frontend (the master)
would start watching as normal, then others could "join in". Whatever
the master frontend did, the remotes would follow - just like remote
TVs running off the back of a Sky box (but without the remote
control).
Through whatever process, the master frontend keeps the others
informed of what it's doing and where in the payback it is, so the
others can keep themselves in sync. I can imagine it might take a few
seconds after any pause/skip/whatever for the remotes to resync, but
for the use cases I've seen talked about, this isn't likely to be an
issue.

>I am struggling to see the use case here.
>These conversations come up regularly on this list, and I am yet to
>see a use case that really makes sense in the mythtv context.

One that comes up regularly is someone who moves around between rooms
- eg popping into the kitchen to get snacks/drinks etc. They can have
the TV on in the kitchen so they don't miss out while sorting out the
'catering' for their guests.

Taking your example, you've a house full of guests to watch the
rugby, and as a good host you'd be expected to keep them adequately
supplied with food and drink. You **may** be able to just have a
third telly on in the kitchen also showing live TV, but for many
people, they don't get signals they can tune into with their telly
(for example, satellite or cable where they need a provider supplied
receiver for each device). Unless they've shelled out to pipe video
around the house, they may be reliant on Myth to connect to the
receiver and pipe it around via IP.

So the use case for your example is :
The rugby is only available on <pay TV, satellite, cable, whatever>.
You don't have enough receivers, or enough in the right places, or
enough with the right subscriptions to show the game live on all the
TVs you want to.
You don't want to miss out while in the kitchen being a good host.
You *do* have

I've heard this IP stuff is the way of the future, can't see it
catching on myself :D

--
Simon Hobson