[mythtv-users] Can you update to .25 remotely (VNC or SSH)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 08:47:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No reason not to.
>> To reiterate (and assuming you are running mythbuntu-repos anyway)
>> back up database ( http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore )
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythbuntu-repos (choose 0.25)
>> sudo apt-get update
>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>> reboot
>
> Nick, gotta thank you for just listing the instructions in the most
> concise way possible. What sort of timing are we looking at? I only
> ask because the missus is studying for an exam and I'm up late. If
> it's a 5-10 minute thing, I might be tempted to upgrade now.
>
> I'm assuming we go into mythtv-setup afterwards to check for any new
> things, etc?

Timing will largely depend on how long your downloads take.

I should also probably say that you might be better to stop the backend first,

sudo service mythtv-backend stop (obviously you want to do this when
there is nothing important recording or about to record)

Once you have done the upgrade, you can start the backend service
again, and the database will be upgraded - I am not sure how long you
should expect this to take, depends on your dB size obviously. The
important thing is NOT to interrupt it, eg by deciding to stop it and
start the mythtv-setup program. This will leave you with a half
upgraded dB which is *bad*. Keep an eye on the backend log, which is
still at /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log, to make sure the upgrade of
the dB finishes.

AFAIK there is no need to change anything in mythtv-setup.