[mythtv-users] Flakey HD-PVR

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Apr 13 01:24:52 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 06:05 PM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> Well amazon and newegg sells them I would assume that they are
> perfectly leagal.
> On 4/12/12, Tom Lichti<tom at redpepperracing.com>  wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
>> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Please do not post any such references on-list.  Any such
>>> device would likely be illegal or questionably legal
>>> in the US.  No matter what you may think of such laws,
>>> please respect the MythTV posting guidelines that
>>> attempt to protect the project (see item 5 on the bottom of
>>> this section):

And before jumping in with both feet you might profitably take to
reading the post first. There ARE pci boards and external boxes for
capturing from hdmi available in the USA (and Canada). However all of
those legally available here do not deal with HDCP (that is, break the
HDCP chain). HDMI is actually a physical spec too...

And spatztech of Germany used to sell a nice little unit which stripped
HDCP from HDMI or DVI input signals. It was only about $200. It is no
longer available apparently. But discussing what it does (or did) and
bemoaning the fact that we cannot do that, is a perfectly fine subject
which is political in object. And there IS a First Amendment aspect to
that in the USA.

Please restrict your inner nanny to jumping on discussions which
actually raise the prospect of circumventing technological restrictions.
And  be especially careful not to accuse someone of doing something
improper.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury