[mythtv-users] MythTv 0.25 theme update question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 12 16:46:32 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 08:33 AM, Martin Moores wrote:
> On 12 April 2012 13:30, Adam Jimerson<vendion at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded my myth setup from 0.24.2 to 0.25, so far I like it and
>> can tell the devs put a lot of great work into it!
>>
>> One question that I have though is how do I update my themes that I have
>> downloaded in 0.24?  The one that I want to
>> update is the Tainted Glass theme, I went into the Theme selector under
>> the settings for the frontend and re-selected the
>> theme but that doesn't seem to download the newer version
>> just re-selects the one that I currently have installed.
>>

> I had the same issue on my 0.25 machine with Archlight.
>
> In the theme downloader, I ran the "update list" option from the menu, then
> Archlight showed up twice in the list, the old version I had downloaded
> previously and the latest one from the theme downloader.  I selected the
> new version, it downloaded and seemed to install OK.

This is the approach you need to use, but note that not all the themes
that were available in 0.24 have been made available/updated for 0.25.
Until the themer asks to have the theme included among the themes
available for 0.25 in the Theme Chooser, it will not be available.  So,
if there's only one "copy"/version of the theme you were using in 0.24,
that theme hasn't been made available for 0.25, yet, and you should
probably choose a different theme, for now.

Note, though, that themers are submitting their updated themes, now, so
many more will likely appear in the Theme Chooser over the next few weeks.

You also have the option of seeking out the theme's "home" (usually its
public repo) and downloading the current version to ~/.mythtv/themes
(i.e. "manually" installing it).  Note, however, that it may not be
complete/may cause problems or even crashes.  And, you can even contact
the theme author and see if you can help to update the theme.  (Note,
also, that some themers have mentioned a desire for help at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Theme_Teams .)

Many themes are available at https://github.com/MythTV-Themes/ , and web
searches can likely help you find others.

Mike