[mythtv-users] Sapphire remote-control driver for Mythtv: v3.0 released

Andrew McCauley ajmccauley at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:53:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:

> I've updated the Sapphire Remote Control kernel (hid) driver for Linux again today.
> The new version 3.0 sports a couple of nifty new features:
>
> --->>> Macro capability:  have a single button press send up to 8 keys.
>
> I use this first feature here to quickly access/set a desired AudioSync
> value that about half of my videos require.  The CLEAR key on the remote
> now defaults to sending KEY_F15, KEY_DOWN, KEY_LEFT, which on my system
> adds 90 milliseconds to the AudioSync value.
>
> If you don't like my appropriating the CLEAR key by default,  :)
> then the second feature may be of interest:
>
> --->>> External keymaps, and a way to load them at start-up.
>
> The driver still has a fully defined built-in keymap for simplicity,
> but I'm willing to bet that at least some of you may want different
> mappings for some buttons than what I've put there as the defaults.
>
> So now you can maintain an external keymap file, and use an included
> script to load it at run time.  Details are in a README.txt file
> included with the driver.
>
> Source available freely as always:  http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

I have been using the sapphire remote for several months now and am
quite happy with it.  In fact I am about to buy a second one for my
second FE that I recently built.  Thank you to Mark Lord for doing
this.

This may seem trivial to some, but how do I go about upgrading my
driver?  Currently I am using the stock configuration on Mythbuntu. I
installed it using:

tar xzf sapphire-xxx.tar.gz
cd sapphire-3.01
sudo make install

Can I install 3.01 over the existing driver or do I need to uninstall?

Thanks for being gentle with re this newbish question...

Regards,
Andrew