[mythtv-users] xbmc with mythtv 0.25

Oliver Maunder mail at olivermaunder.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 22:25:26 UTC 2012

On 11 April 2012 22:29, jacek burghardt <jaceksburghardt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope there is someone that can point me in right direction xbmc
> handles few thinks better then mythfrontend

I've been wondering about this myself. I'm currently using XBMC 10 as a
frontend for an aging MythTV 0.23 backend, and it's upgrade time.

Looking at the XBMC source code, the most recent Myth protocol version
supported is 64. 0.24 uses version 63 and 0.25 uses version 64.

However, according to the Myth Protocol wiki
page<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Myth_Protocol>,
XBMC implements the Myth protocol version badly - which essentially means
that it will pretend to support a more recent version than it really does.
As the wiki says - "This should be considered very dangerous behavior, and
should not be used to connect to any production backend."

It looks like XBMC generally queries the MySQL database directly, rather
than making requests via the Myth protocol, so the protocol version it
supports might not matter than much. Of course, if the database structure
has changed then there could be problems.

To sum up  - yeah, XBMC Eden might work with 0.25, or it might not. And if
it doesn't, then it could completely screw up your backend. It's probably
worth a try - but make sure you've made backups first!

Olly