[mythtv-users] UK DVB-S Channel Numbering

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 09:50:34 UTC 2012

On 10/04/12 08:06, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> What I'm saying is that the postcode-region mapping is... inexact. I know you
>> rely on users to provide you with better data, how can we help?
>
> I'd have thought it would be better to have users identify their transmitter -
> though I know some will struggle with that.
> I'm OK here as I only get Winter Hill, but I have friends that can get both
> Winter hill (main transmitter 40 miles away) and the local infill repeater (<1
> mile away and well off-axis for the antenna). People like this are always going
> to be a problem as they tend to get 2 of most channels - one of which is poor
> quality. In the case of my friends (and I don't think this is unusual), the
> local repeater is on lower frequencies and so they get unusable channels in the
> main slots and the usable ones get shoved up to 800 on a "standard" freeview
> box. The trick is unplugging the cable till the scan has gone past the local tx.
>
> In these situations, do the channel identifiers have anything to differentiate
> them, or would that have to come from the transports table ?

The transport data includes the location of the transmitter as a name. These can
clearly be seen if you scan using the dvb-xxx utilities, so could easily be
added to the dtv-multiplex table as an extra field (if that helped).

As it is I get three: Oxford first (poor) then Hannington (excellent) then
Crystal Palace (middling). Unplugging the cable, especially as my MBE is stuffed
into a cupboard, isn't practical.

To get only Hannington, with the channels numbered properly, involves several
scans of different types. Not all scans fill in all the fields in the transport
and channel tables, so repeats are required to set everything up properly - and
to eliminate unwanted data.

--

Mike Perkins