[mythtv-users] mythv 0.25 issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Apr 8 19:34:21 UTC 2012

On 04/08/2012 11:47 AM, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
>> So it is very strange that mythtv-setup does not create proper schema ?
>> On new setup I had start mythbackend in order to get proper database
>> config and then run mythtv-setup.
>> Another issue is that I can't get lineup from schedule direct at all
>> works fine with 0.24 fixes.
>> I have pfsense running with antivirus and squid. I wonder if anyone
>> has any idea on how I can fix that issue.
>> Upgrading from 0.24 fixes to 0.25 creates database error issue.
>
> I had the db error issues as well.  I had to start mythbackend from
> the command line to see what was going on then manually drop tables /
> columns one at a time as it complained about it and failed until it
> stopped complaining.  The problem is, if it fails part way through,
> but say has already added a new table or a new column to an existing
> table, then next time through, it isn't happy because things it's
> trying to do (again) have already been done.

Exactly, which is why, if you have a failed DB update, you need to
restore the pre-upgrade backup and then try a new upgrade.  We don't
support upgrading partially upgraded databases--because we have
absolutely no checking for what failed and what succeeded and we don't
have transaction support, so the schema is always in an unknown
condition when a DB upgrade fails.

Of course, I'm always interested to see the logs of failed upgrades,
too, so I can fix any underlying problems in our code (if it was that
and not a broken DB schema/data that caused the failure).

>   All in all, I think there may need to be a much better use of "IF
> EXISTS"/ "IF NOT EXISTS" in the update scripts...though that's really
> a stab on my part.

Actually, all of the current "exists" stuff needs removing--unless
someone writes code to verify the table's current design against desired...

Mike