[mythtv-users] Kernel Crash when starting up in au0828-video.c line 895

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sat Apr 7 22:30:29 UTC 2012

On 12-04-07 05:54 PM, jrh wrote:
> greetings!
>
> I think I have uncovered a nasty little bug in either the referenced module, or something is fishy happening.
>
> This occurs at boot time when mythbackend is starting up. I can't make a copy of the dump info as it is not responsive, even though there is mouse movement.
>
> I have enabled analog video using an HVR950Q tuner.  Prior to setting up the tuner in mythbackend, tvtime was able to watch analog video via the ntsc cable tuner.

The HVR950Q suffers from race conditions between the various
kernel modules that control different internal parts of the device.

The standard way of avoiding most of the issues is to blacklist au0828
so that the kernel won't autoload it at boot time.

Then, just before starting mythbackend, manually insmod au0828,
and then delay (sleep for a couple of seconds).

After which it's usually working.

I have a script that does this for me in a somewhat fancier fashion,
resetting the 950Q's beforehand, and then loading xc5000/au0828 in
the order that seems to work, with the magic sleeps.

But it's not too hard to roll one's own, either.

Cheers