[mythtv-users] Weird HDMI problem

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 3 20:34:28 UTC 2012

On 4/3/2012 3:38 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
<snip>

>> I've had similar problems related to this chicken, egg issue.  I even had a
>> problem with getting the audio over the HDMI cable because of an errant
>> edid. Both were fixed with the same solution.  Extract the edid from your
>> tv, save it to a file.  Instruct xorg to use the file for the TV info,
>> negating the need to ask the TV directly.  If the TV is off this will return
>> nothing, which will result in a blank screen when you finally turn on the
>> TV.  Detailed instructions can be found here:
>> http://analogbit.com/fix_nvidia_edid
>
> Only works on nvidia AFAIK
>
>> Luckily for you, you won't have to edit the edid data, recalculate checksums
>> and the like. I had to do this to strip away the audio information provided
>> by the TV, which prevented me using the TV the way I wanted to.

Sorry, I forgot that critical piece of information.  You did mention ATI.

Might still be possible:
Which driver are you using?  fglrx or open source? The open source ones
seem to work with the custom-edid opiton
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon#Custom_EDID
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man4/radeon.4.html