[mythtv-users] Playback problem

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 3 20:01:23 UTC 2012

On 04/03/2012 01:25 PM, Stefan D wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 04/02/2012 01:21 PM, Daniel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I've seen a similar problem on my setup using VDPAU and only on certain
>>> channels (with a highly compressed video stream). I tried several
>>> different
>>> solutions (e.g. adjusting X-server settings, vdpau-options). What finally
>>> helped me out was to upgrade to 0.25 and select OpenGL video decoding. The
>>> rendering could be left at VDPAU without problems.
>>>
>> I think you mean ffmpeg/standard decoding with VDPAU render.  (Since VDPAU
>> is both a decoder and renderer and OpenGL is only a renderer and
>> ffmpeg/standard is a decoder.)  :)
>>

> Yes, this seems to work. But don't i miss some of the benefits with VDPAU
> with this setting? Is this a driver issue or a MythTV issue? I haven't had
> this problem before. I've only seen this problem the last few months or
> something.

Likely it's a problem with the video itself--either:

a)  signal issues cause errors in the stream that VDPAU doesn't handle
as well as ffmpeg (as we're entering Spring in the northern hemisphere,
new foliage is starting to grow and may reduce the strength of the
signal you're picking up on the antenna)
b) encoding options chosen by your broadcaster that VDPAU doesn't handle
too well
c) something else ?

(Note that since people with 0.24-fixes and people with 0.25rc1 are
seeing similar issues/symptoms/results from not using VDPAU, if it is a
bug in MythTV, it's been there for a long time, so I'm more inclined to
believe the issue is elsewhere.  That said, if someone can prove
otherwise and find a nice fix for the issue, we'd love to fix it.)

As far as whether you'll be missing something, it sounds like using this
setup you'll miss out on the playback problem. :)

Mike