[mythtv-users] Silly Question

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Apr 3 18:38:35 UTC 2012

On 4/3/2012 13:13, A Desai wrote:
> Basically that means that if I disconnect my basic cable from Comcast,
> I will either need a OTA antenna or record via satellite. Since I have
> both comcast basic and satellite, I wanted to get rid of Comcast
> basic. Seems like I will have to redo my setup if I want to keep using
> Myth instead of the satellite DVRs.

If you want to use MythTV instead of hardware DVRs from your content
provider, you would be much much better off dropping satellite and
upgrading your Comcast service.  Recording satellite means a separate
STB rental for each channel you want to simultaneously record, an analog
capture input for each STB (~$25 for SD, $190 for HD), a error prone IR
blasting for channel changing.  Recording Comcast means a cablecard
tuner ($110 for two channels, $200 for four), a single M-card rental at
a couple dollars per month, and no STB rental.