[mythtv-users] Silly Question

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 17:38:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 09:46, A Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question:
> * Currently I have my myth recording via my Comcast Cable. If I disconnect
> my cable, will I still be able to get the basic channels (ABC, NBC, WLS,
> WGN, CBS) - I heard that the basic channels are supposed to be free?

While OTA (Over The Air) antenna broadcast channels are
"free", as long as you are using an antenna, access to the
cable feeds is by subscription only. Accessing any content
that you are not paying for is (in most jurisdictions)
considered theft of service.  There is no "free" cable service
(exceptions noted for special arrangements made under the
franchise agreements to provide "free" service to certain
approved locations (often municipal offices) in exchange for
the cable monopoly).

In practice, simply due to logistics of scheduling work,
when you terminate cable service the local franchise
may not send out someone to disconnect the cable
that day (or even that week), but eventually it usually
happens.  If you continue to pay for Cable Internet service,
the cable franchise will usually install filters allowing only
the frequencies used by the Cable Internet service
from entering the residence.  In any case, regardless
of how long it takes to dispatch someone to disconnect
or filter, if you are not paying for the service, you are
not authorized to receive it via cable.

Note that to eliminate the need for the "truck roll" of
physical disconnection, the cable companies have
applied to the FCC for a waiver to allow them to
encrypt all channels.  In the case the waiver is granted,
it is likely that the cable companies will (eventually)
deploy equipment/processes allowing same day turn
off.

Gary