[mythtv-users] PCI capture cards on Intel Sandy Bridge

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Apr 3 10:55:45 UTC 2012

On 3/04/2012 7:10 p.m., Simon Paterson wrote:

> So, is anybody is happily (or unhappily) using PCI capture cards on a
> Intel H61/H67/P67/Z68 based (sandy-bridge) motherboard?

I am going to run up a Z68 motherboard (already purchased) in the coming
weeks with 2 x TD-500's so if you want to wait I intend to find out...!

FWIW its a http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3853#ov
and I was not expecting an issue however there are no rules here and all
sorts of unexpected's can conspire against us (such as nvidia vdpau
drivers not obviously not being fully compatible with all motherboard
chipsets...)

With the PCI bus speed circa 100 cf streams of maybe 2 to 10 there would
need to be a lot of concurrent streams to challenge the bus capacity. Or
is the issue to be found somewhere else?

Given its a back end with graphics capability (Intel 2000/3000) I am
expecting a little bit of a power saving as I won't need to concurrently
run a 50W nvidia card in the same box, while there should be enough CPU
to play HD if I want to for testing purposes.