[mythtv-users] Weird HDMI problem

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 09:20:54 UTC 2012

Igor Cicimov wrote:

>When I switch on the TV first and then the Mythtv all is fine. But
>the other way around I get a black screen. Same happens if I leave
>the Mythtv box idle for some time: when I switch back to it I get
>black screen. It is like due to some power savings, I assume on the
>TV side, the HDMI gets switched off.

I have the same issue (0.24, MythBuntu, Samsung TV, Intel chipset)

What I'm guessing is happening is ...

If the TV is not powered up when the <the graphics system starts>*,
then there is no feedback from the TV and so the HDMI port is not
enabled for output - looking in the xorg log, it's clear it's
auto-detecting displays for all the ports. Thus when you switch on
the TV, you get a blank screen because nothing was detected and the
output was not enabled.

* This seems to be not only when the system starts, but also when
waking from (at least some) sleep mode.

I have tried fiddling around with xorg.conf, but not really knowing
what I'm doing it does seem a lot like you need to configure loads of
stuff to add a fixed modeline - and I've never managed to get
anything other than a broken system.

If my TV supported it, I'd be tempted to get an HDMI-CEC adapter and
try re-configuring the system to turn the TV off/on instead of
activating a screen saver. I've disabled all the screen saver options
in the control panel but it still seems to do it.

--
Simon Hobson