[mythtv-users] Hauppage Nova-T-500 losing remote on reboot

Giles gbirchley at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 2 07:58:53 UTC 2012

I'm running Mythtv 0.24 on Fedora 15 x86_64 with an up to date kernel.
It is a standalone backend and is powered off like a regular TV when
we're not using it (ie it isn't an "always on" server). I've just
invested in a Hauppage Nova-T-500 for multi channel recording. Setup was
generally pretty straightforward, but I had some problems with the IR
remote (the IR-keytable was slightly wrong - see
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC#Set_up_key_map_for_A415-HPG-WE_remote> ).
Difficulties in figuring the problem out were compounded by the fact the
remote sensor seems to get lost on a reboot, and needs a cold boot to
play nicely. The remote always shows up on:

 >cat proc/bus/input/devices

and works fine from a cold boot. If the system is rebooted with:

 >sudo shutdown -r now

the remote does not respond (to irw - I couldn't get the mode2 command
to work) if the system is rebooted.

I have tried applying the kernel option:

usbcore.autosuspend=-1

to the kernel line in grub, in case it is a question of the USB
controller going into sleep mode, but this doesn't fix it. I've
consulted the guide at
<http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-500> but I
can't see any report of this problem or a fix. I tell my girlfriend to
reboot mythtv if she's having some problem when I'm away, as it's often
the easiest way to fix any issues, furthermore I do sometimes boot into
windows to play games, so although I can work around the issue, I'd like
to sort it out if possible.

Has anyone had similar issues - is there a workaround? - or is this
kernel related? Should I file a bug report?

Many thanks for your help,
Giles