[mythtv-users] How many simultaneous recordings on one drive?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Sep 29 17:27:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
> In practice it probably doesn't make a lick of difference, but
> nevertheless, I run my HDHR and Myth BE on an actual switch. I sleep
> better that way. :)

Given the low cost of today's actual switches, it's certainly
affordable to do so.  I can remember when 10Mbs hubs were $100 per
port, so ~$20/30 for an 8-port 100Mbs/gigabit full duplex switch seems
like it's practically free to me.

Some people seem to want to use the separate NIC approach because they
don't understand how switches work and think they're more like hubs.
Having two network cards certainly works, but it unnecessarily
complicates things IMO.

Eric