[mythtv-users] How many simultaneous recordings on one drive?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 17:09:53 UTC 2011

> Why do you want to keep data traffic off the switch?  That seems like
> overkill, unless it's a really old 10Mbps switch or something.

I'm not the OP but I can tell you that I didn't want my HDHR traffic
on my wireless access point's "switch". Some of those are not true
ASIC wirespeed switches but are instead 4 or 5 NICs tied together with
a software bridge, so you eat up CPU and add a bit of latency
shoveling packets around.

In practice it probably doesn't make a lick of difference, but
nevertheless, I run my HDHR and Myth BE on an actual switch. I sleep
better that way. :)

Another reason for having the HDHR on a dedicated NIC + crossover is
the switch's activity light for your Myth BE actually becomes useful.