[mythtv-users] Minimal hard drive specs for HD recording. (RPM, buffer size, SATA I, II, or III ?)

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:51:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes seek time is very important.

Does this warrant 7200RPM drives ?

I would doubt that one hd could record 2 hd streams while serving 3
> frontends with hd streams, and this is with commflagging and other processes
> reduced to the bare minimum.

OK.

I have one hd recording 4 sd shows and 2hd shows while serving 1 frontend
> and comm flagging 1 show... this overwelms the drive on occasion.
>
> Db and os are on a seperate drive.

So how should I set things up then ?  Should I have 1 hd for each HD-PVR ?
And if so, what prevents all 3 front ends from accessing content on 1 drive
?

As you are using hdpvrs I presume all content would be high bitrate
> recordings.

Yes, if recording HD, which we will be at every opportunity.

As a minimum I would look at using two drives with large partitions, not in
> raid and each setup in myth storage groups with spreading of load based on
> i/o load.

I have no idea how to do that.   Could you point me to some documentation ?