[mythtv-users] PXE booting (was Spin up delay for HDDs)

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:50:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 28 Sep 2011, at 13:20, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>
> >> I recently found some Crucial m4 SSD's on sale for around $85 and bought
> two
> >> of them for my frontends.  I've never seen the ION be so responsive
> moving
> >> through the menus, etc.  What I thought was IR lag in the past was
> proven
> >> incorrect.  The ION was slow because of the crappy OS media (PXE+NFS or
> >> USB).  So far I've been happy with the local SSD in each frontend.
> >
> > Are you sure it was the NFS that was the problem? Were the files for
> > your PXE stored on the server using a traditional hard drive or an
> > SSD?
>
> I have a PXE booted NFS mounted frontend where the boot files are on an
> SSD, it's shared with mysql and the master backend system files but it's
> still very quick. I seem to need to manually trim the drive when it slows a
> little but then it's seriously quick.
>
> I do have IR lag but if I plug in a keyboard it's instant.
>
> Andre
>

> > If it was a traditional drive, was that drive also used by
> > something else (your server's OS drive, or multiple frontends, or
> > maybe even your mysql database)? It would be really unfair to host
> > multiple systems on a single HD and then just claim that NFS was the
> > problem, when I'd suspect a more likely cause there was slower I/O
> > disk being overworked. Now if it was an SSD in the server that the
> > files were stored on, then I guess yeah...NFS would be my guess
> > (assuming you have no network issues otherwise).
> >
> > --
> > Ron Frazier

I have been doing PXE (pxelinux) / NFS using Gentoo on a gigabit network for
years and years without issue.  To upgrade I just emerge world.  It has had
its quirks, but it works fine.

I also have the fast keyboard, little bit of IR lag, but I am hoping this
may improve when I convert to the IR in the kernel.

Dan