[mythtv-users] Recording two successive shows on the same channel

Sven Bretfeld sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch
Wed Sep 28 06:48:17 UTC 2011

Hi to all

One thing about MythTV continues to annoy me.

If there are two shows following one another and matching the same rule,
MythtTV stops recording the first show and starts to record the second,
so that the first one is broken for export. As I have two tunercards it
must be possible to solve this problem.

Example:

16:00-16:30 The Big Bang Theory (s02e03)
16:30-17:00 The Big Bang Theory (s02e04)

Usually the first show ends belated at around 16:32 or something, but
MythTV strictly stops the first recording instance exactly at 16:30 and
starts a new one. So two minutes of the first show become part of
another file (whereas some seconds even get lost for good).

I have two tuner cards and have configured additional 600 seconds as a
default delayed recording stop. It would be easy for MythTV to record
the first show completely (with the additional 10 minutes) and start a
new recording at 16:30 using the second tunercard.

But how to do that?

I know that one can change the preferred tunercard in the recording plan
manually. But for a daily show this has to work automatized.

What is the best practice here?

Thanks for help,

Sven