[mythtv-users] mythtv, vdpau, ion, vsync tearing issues.

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Tue Sep 27 20:03:40 UTC 2011

On 25 September 2011 15:12, Simon Jones <sijones2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 September 2011 11:00, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have mythtv running on a atom-ion box.
>> I run the nvidia drivers and have mythtv set to use vdpau.
>> When playing HD videos, there is quite a lot of "tearing" displayed on
>> the screen.
>> I tried compiling the latest git repository with the
>> "--enable-opengl-vsync" but this does not appear to be a valid option
>> any more.
>>

> make sure this is in your xorg file
>
> Section "Extensions"
>     Option         "Composite" "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> and as the previous email, make sure you enable vblank in the settings and
> save them, you then call nvidia-settings on X loading to reload the settings
> each time. You can add this in to the autostart etc.

I had a couple of issues which caused tearing using ION Zotac front end.
The composite-line fixed the worst of it, then tuning the VDPAU and
Resolution settings helped imrpove the image quality and remove tearing
which was happening due to screen-size mismatch to desktop.

See my post here, it will lead you to mythtv thread where this topic was
commented on by other mythtv-ers.
http://michael.dtmc.ca/blog/2011/02/mythtv/

There are log files too which may help you troubleshoot whether you have the
same problem(s) or not. I updated a couple of mythtv wiki pages on the
subject of tearing too with references to the the composite-fix.