[mythtv-users] Why does my dvr randomly drop from the network?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 08:52:59 UTC 2011

On 27 September 2011 02:07, Rick <rbonafied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/26/2011 05:13 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
>>
>> I have a couple of systems running with Realtek 8169 NIC's.  My backend
>> runs a Intel E1000 and Realtek 8169 together in Mode6 Bridge.  The only
>> issue I have is that Wake On Lan does not work with them, I have read
>> that I need to install the driver from the Realtek website, but have
>> never bothered with that.
>>
>> I hope the new cable fix's the problem.
>>

> Yay!  Yay!!  I ran a new cable in the wall and the system has been
> stable for around 24 hours!  I always assumed a lame cable would be
> detectable by the host computer somehow.  Live and learn!  Thanks for
> everyone's help!

The link light on network cards is very unreliable as a guage of a
good cable or not.
The feature missing on most network cards is an up/down counter.
If you see the counter increasing you know there are network problems.
It was an invaluable feature back in the old T1/E1 days, where every
E1 interface had the alarms counter.
It is a shame it is missed off most ethernet card drivers, but it
could very easily be added.