[mythtv-users] How much can I power off my DCH-3200 when unused?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Sep 26 14:18:04 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:
> As part of my power saving work, I'd like to power off my DCH-3200 by just
> cutting off its power when my backend isn't running (it uses 25W 24/7).
> I can use insteon/X10 to just shut off the power to its outlet.

Hi Marc.

I also have a DCH-3200.  Since I've recently added a HDHR Prime, and
the Prime gets all the same channels I can get over firewire, my myth
box only schedules a firewire recording when all three tuners on the
Prime are recording.  Since I'm using the STB a lot less, I've also
been thinking about reducing the STB power draw, but I haven't done
anything about it yet.

The DCH-3200 has a standby mode which should reduce its power draw.
Have you tried measuring how much power is required when the box is in
standby?  My understanding is that when the box is in standby mode it
isn't tuned to any channel and decoding video, but it is still capable
of receiving updates when in this mode, and should boot faster in this
mode as well.  If the power draw is sufficiently low in standby, you
might find it more reliable to keep it in that mode.

Eric