[mythtv-users] HD-PVR extremely unstable on backend, works fine on laptop

Harley Peters harley at thepetersclan.com
Sun Sep 25 15:36:44 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 03:44 -0700, Erik Jensen wrote:
> I just purchased an HD-PVR to allow me to record CCI restricted
> channels from my cable box. When connected to my backend, it stops
> responding after capturing for 5-10 minutes, and I have to power cycle
> it to get it back.
>
> It is a Rev F2 with firmware 0x15
>
> I have tried all of the following:
> catting to mplayer
> catting to a file
> recording in MythTV
> LiveTV in MythTV
> Unloading and reloading the driver
> Upgrading the firmware to 0x17 (Killed the picture color, didn't fix
> the problem)
> Downgrading the firmware to 0x15 again
> Plugging the device into a different USB port
>
> There are no errors reported to dmesg
>
> When using cat, I have tried both the defaults and with the following settings:
>
> v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --set-ctrl=video_bitrate_mode=0
> v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --set-ctrl=video_bitrate=13500000
> v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --set-ctrl=video_peak_bitrate=20200000
> v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 --set-audio-input 2
>
> However, if I connect the device to my laptop, it seems to capture
> just fine with the same settings (using cat, I don't have a
> mythbackend installed).
>
> Does anyone have an idea for tracking down the problem might be?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Erik Jensen
>
> "Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose."
>   -- Garrison Keillor

What version of the kernel are you using on the backend ?
Different kernel than the laptop ?

Are you using the hdpvr's IR receiver transmitter ?

What does lsmod show ?

Sounds a lot like the IR receiver bug it will cause consistent failure's
in the 5-10 minute range.

Even if your not actually using the IR receiver on the hdpvr  if the
modules that support it are loaded it will still cause it to fail.

Harley