[mythtv-users] Storing recordings on network share

Julius Roberts hooliowobbits at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 00:02:48 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 09:29, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would a single back end have enough HP to run Myth and be a NAS server ?

It does for my needs, which i would describe as moderate.  Unless
you're transcoding, myth doesn't seem to be processor intensive at
all, and neither should a NAS be either, unless you're getting tricky
and doing de-dupe or something.

We've 2 front-ends, and I do zillion other things on my BE, and almost
regardless of what they are, performance isn't an issue.  it's amd64
X2 Dual Core 5200+ that's several years old already, 2gb RAM.  I've
got some disk as root and a single 2tb seagate green with all my myth
and "NAS" storage.  That disk isn't the best for this kind of thing
apparently, but mine is fine so far.  I do have good backups.

> I'm in a similar situation to the OP.  I was going to run separate Myth BE
> and NAS boxes. Do I need to ?

I don't think so.

--
Kind regards, Jules

The CLI is everywhere. It's all around us, even in this very room. You
can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your
television. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to work,
when you pay your taxes. The GUI is the world that has been pulled
over your eyes to blind you from the truth.