[mythtv-users] Problems Running Headless MBE/FE with Fedora 15/Gnome 3

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Wed Sep 21 20:21:16 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 01:16 PM, linux guy wrote:
> I have several headless servers running F15 these days.
>
> I connecting to them with ssh and running graphical KDE and gnome apps
> remotely from my Linux box.  Which also runs F15.   It works very well,
> especially now that I have wireless N.  Its pretty much seemless on a
> gigabit netowork.
>
> The hardest part is finding/remembering the command line name for the
> apps (Do an edit on KStart and look at the properties for each).   The
> other issue is remembering to look at the title bar to see if the app is
> running locally or remotely.   Other than that, its totally great.    I
> don't think it would work on a Windows box though...

This will work on Windows as long as you have an Xserver installed for
Windows.  However, the poster mentioned wanting to keep the software
install light on the windows box so I ruled out this option.

Using the VNC solution and running gnome on the backend however gives
the user the full menu system without having to remember the application
names.

> FWIW, I keep the servers at runlevel 3. ie systemctl isolate
> runlevel3.target in systemd paralance, even though they have the full
> graphical installation on them.

Yup.  I do the same thing.

Michael