[mythtv-users] Problems Running Headless MBE/FE with Fedora 15/Gnome 3

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 20:16:16 UTC 2011

I have several headless servers running F15 these days.

I connecting to them with ssh and running graphical KDE and gnome apps
remotely from my Linux box.  Which also runs F15.   It works very well,
especially now that I have wireless N.  Its pretty much seemless on a
gigabit netowork.

The hardest part is finding/remembering the command line name for the apps
(Do an edit on KStart and look at the properties for each).   The other
issue is remembering to look at the title bar to see if the app is running
locally or remotely.   Other than that, its totally great.    I don't think
it would work on a Windows box though...

FWIW, I keep the servers at runlevel 3. ie systemctl isolate
runlevel3.target in systemd paralance, even though they have the full
graphical installation on them.

HTH.