[mythtv-users] Storing recordings on network share

Aaron Klein klein.aaron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:45:47 UTC 2011

Last night I thought I had a hard drive failing so I quickly copied all the
recordings on that myth box to a network share on my home server.  Today I
thought about maybe doing the same thing for my second myth recording box
such that all the recordings would be on a single network share.

I know people have done this but what I do not know is what kind of
recording load and playing load I can put on the network share before the
disk IO beings to hold things up.  All systems including the server have a
gig ethernet connection.  There are two backend/frontend mythtv box's and 2
dedicated frontend only myth box's for a total poosible of 4 frontends and
two backends where the backends have 1 and 2 tuners respectivly.  The system
with two tuners has a combo tuner so I can record digital cable as well as
analog cable channels.

The drive is an internal SATA 1.5GB disk.  I belive its a seagate green
drive so I know the transfer rate is lower than lets say a black drive.

I know I should beable to record two shows at the same time to the server
share but I am wondering in practice does anyone have this kind of setup and
if so what are the numbers of simultanious recordings and/or playback that
you have had and not seen performance issues or if you have seen performance
issues with this kind of setup at what level of simultanious
recording/playback did you get these recordings?