[mythtv-users] Problems Running Headless MBE/FE with Fedora 15/Gnome 3

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Wed Sep 21 19:41:20 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 12:09 PM, Mache Creeger wrote:
> At 11:57 AM 9/21/2011, Mark Boyum wrote:
>> > Are you saying I can run X on TightVNC on Windows 7? That is my client.
>>
>> If you are going to use VNC you can boot your backend to the text only
>> console. Then use putty (or similar) to ssh into the backend from
>> your Windows computer. Start vncserver from the ssh session and then
>> launch your favorite VNC client on the windows box to connect over to
>> the backend.
>>
>> If you're new to Linux it isn't necessarily straight forward but
>> nothing a bit of Google-Fu can't overcome.
>
> Thanks but what I really want is to have Gnome 3 running on my Fedora 15
> MBE and access the GUI using TightVNC on my Windows 7 laptop. I really
> do now want to run X and Gnome 3 on the laptop if I can avoid it as I
> need to keep the overhead on the laptop to a minimum.
>
> My issue is how to get Gnome (and X) to boot without an attached
> monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I had it running on Fedora 13, but when I
> upgraded to Fedora 15 that /etc/X11/xorg.conf stopped working. I printed
> out my most recent /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/logXorg.0.log files in a

There isn't any point in running those services on the console if you
aren't going to use the console.

Start a vncserver on the backend.  Modify the xstartup file for
vncserver to start your gnome session.  Then connect to it using tightvnc.

All the processes run on the backend and you just view them on the frontend.

Now you can connect and disconnect to the session as much as you want.
You can also run the mythtvsetup from this session.

Michael