[mythtv-users] Problems Running Headless MBE/FE with Fedora 15/Gnome 3

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Wed Sep 21 19:09:01 UTC 2011

At 11:57 AM 9/21/2011, Mark Boyum wrote:
> > Are you saying I can run X on TightVNC on Windows 7? That is my client.
>
>If you are going to use VNC you can boot your backend to the text only
>console.  Then use putty (or similar) to ssh into the backend from
>your Windows computer.  Start vncserver from the ssh session and then
>launch your favorite VNC client on the windows box to connect over to
>the backend.
>
>If you're new to Linux it isn't necessarily straight forward but
>nothing a bit of Google-Fu can't overcome.

Thanks but what I really want is to have Gnome 3 running on my Fedora
15 MBE and access the GUI using TightVNC on my Windows 7 laptop. I
really do now want to run X and Gnome 3 on the laptop if I can avoid
it as I need to keep the overhead on the laptop to a minimum.

My issue is how to get Gnome (and X) to boot without an attached
monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I had it running on Fedora 13, but when
I upgraded to Fedora 15 that /etc/X11/xorg.conf stopped working. I
printed out my most recent /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/logXorg.0.log
files in a previous post.

Any ideas?

-- Mache