[mythtv-users] unable to change channel when I've reached max number recordings on tuner

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 20 02:42:13 UTC 2011

On 09/19/2011 01:31 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 19/09/11 12:12, Tim Draper wrote:
>> i have a dual DVB-S2 card, that can handle multiplex recording (so
>> guaranteed simultaneous 2 recordings, possibly 4 depending on channel
>> multiplex)
>>
>> mythtv is setup to 'avoid recording conflict with liveTV'.
>>
>> i was recording 2 shows at the weekend, and i decide to watch one of the
>> recordings via live TV.
>> liveTV opened up on the wrong channel, so i goto guide, find the channel
>> that was being recorded, that i wanted to watch that recorded show 'live',
>> but i was unable to. mythtv guide showed the channel in white (rather than
>> Teal), which implied i was able to switch channel.
>>
>> why couldn't I change channel to something i was recording?
>> I hope I've explained the scenario correctly...
>>
> I'm not going to answer your direct question, as someone else can probably
> explain it more clearly. But...
>
> If you have a recording going, then you should just be able to watch it (from
> the beginning, if you wish!) simply by finding it in your media library. It will
> probably be a different colour since it is still going, but there's no reason
> you can't watch it.
>
> Don't forget, if you access LiveTV what you are really doing is recording
> another copy of the program onto disk, which then gets dumped... cue thrashing
> of heads on disks as both get recorded - *and* both get seek info written to the
> database at the same time!

Exactly, Live TV is a contract between you and MythTV where you steal a
tuner away from MythTV so you have full control over that tuner.
Therefore, you can't have Live TV when all your tuners are otherwise
busy--you have to watch recordings at that point (including the
recording-in-progress that appears at the top of Watch Recordings).

Mike