[mythtv-users] How To Deal With New and Modified Channels and Scanning?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Sep 18 20:01:35 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> If you have room in the budget, I recommend picking up a HDHR Prime.
> Comcast is the only provider, as far as I know, that has made it an
> official policy to not block non-premium/non-PPV channels from
> recording through non-DRM enabled DVRs, so it's a good value.

WOW has also done the same thing. In fact, they've done a better job
at it than Comcast. Last week, in working with their support tech to
diagnose a problem, I was briefly granted access to every channel in
their lineup and was able to check the status of everything. Although
they've only said they would carrying the non-premiums as Copy Freely,
this is what I found:
http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php?id=15

Also, WOW (unlike Comcast) also has their basic cable channels (2-88)
available in unencrypted QAM form.

--
Ron Frazier