[mythtv-users] Reversing Master/Slave backend roles

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 18 04:12:39 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 11:49 PM, Tom Flair wrote:
> Quick question, I'm considering switching the roles of my master and
> slave backends.  The slave is on a proper server with more storage
> space and is generally left alone, whilst the master is my desktop
> machine.
>
> Would I follow the steps here?
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
>
> Or just shut down the backend processes, run mythtv-setup and change
> the ip address for the master backend and restart?
>
> FWIW, the database is on the slave BE right now.

The latter approach--just change the master backend "IP address" setting
by running mythtv-setup on each host *and* update all
$HOME/.mythtv/config.xml files (if nothing else, take the <USN> tag out
of <DefaultBackend> so it will find the correct/current one).  (This
presumes that there's no reason to actually swap the host names of the 2
machines--and from a MythTV perspective, there's none.)

Mike