[mythtv-users] How reliable is Commercial skip?

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 13:57:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> On 9/14/11 11:49 PM, Justin Johnson wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Michael T. Dean<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> There's also (the unreviewed) http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9997 ,
>>> if you feel like playing/testing/...
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>> Thanks for that, it seems to have improved my commercial detection
>> (USA) immensely; though, I can't be completely sure, it just feels
>> better.
>>
> OTOH, I've been running with it for a few days now, and can't see any
> difference. I guess I was hoping it would stop considering the "Moment
> of Zen" at the end of The Daily Show as part of the preceding commercial
> break. Perhaps I need to try tweaking the setting for "merge breaks
> shorter than X seconds" (or however it's phrased).
>
> The description of what this patch does definitely sounds like it should
> be a big improvement, though. It definitely doesn't hurt.
>
> --
> Dan Wilga                                                        "Ook."

I've also switched from an HD-PVR to an HDHR-Prime so it could be
differences between the H264 and MPEG2 that are contributing to my
increased reliability, hard to say for sure. FWIW, I almost always
miss the end credits, whereas I seem to recall the last commercial
break never being flagged at all in the (distant) past.
-- Justin