[mythtv-users] Prioritize new episodes...

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:22:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:04 AM, "Tom Bongiorno"
> <two.bits.11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a handful of kids shows that record once a week with the "Find
>> and record one showing of this title each week." setting in MythWeb.
>> I also limit the number of episodes per title.  This helps rotate my
>> catalog of kids shows.  This works well, but I want to ensure that new
>> episodes will be selected before reruns.  Is there an option that I am
>> missing or do I need to make a custom priority?  Thanks in advance.
>>
>> -Tom
>
> Tom, I am not sure this is even the right way to do it, but what I do is
> make two entries, and one of them has a higher priority (with a larger
> retain # of episodes cache), and filtered to new episodes only, and then
> I have a second entry for the same show with a lower priority.
>
> This is so I can get reruns of Family Guy and Simpsons, and they record
> daily and disappear after two weeks regardless, while new episodes will
> ALWAYS record due to the higher priority and stick around.  The reruns
> have a hard cut commercial remove and transcode so I can watch them on
> my rokus in any room commercial-free, while the newer episodes are
> transcoded, but no commercials are removed (but they are flagged).  The
> hard-cut isn't always perfect, and I lose the end credits/coda sometimes
> but since it is a rerun, I don't really care.
>
> --
>  Kris B.
>  krisbee at krisbee.com

Kris:

I tried something similar a while back, but the problem I encountered
was that the episodes that expired were treated as "deleted" for the
purposes of rescheduling, so even if I had never watched a rerun, if
it dropped off the queue, it was never re-recorded.  Do you have this
same issue, or have you found a way to have expired episodes be
treated as "deleted and allow re-record"?

Thanks,

George