[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Sep 14 01:21:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 08:45:33AM +0800, James Linder wrote:

> On 14/09/2011, at 12:16 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
> >> If you're happy installing the packages you need (ie the graphical
> >> tools) from an ssh session, then don't bother with a GUI, just install
> >> something like xterm to bring in enough to allow remote X sessions
> >> (overs SSH for instance) to work okay.

> >> It'll be running in the background, which means more stuff started at
> >> boot so slower boot times, and a greater load on the system. (although
> >> this last point is probably moo.*)
> >
> > I tend to ssh into my boxes, so I am with most people with that... you
> > rarely need a monitor to work on a machine... any updates/tweaks/etc. on
> > my frontend is done via a laptop.
> [snip]
>
> A last point, my backend is headless, I too use ssh to it BUT I run
> mythfrontend on the backend via ssh and X forwarding because that is
> the easiest way to make DVDs from a recording

   ...sounds like you would be much better off with just sharing the relevant
files on your desktop machine or just running mythfrontend on that same desktop
machine.

    Furthermore, a dedicated backend really doesn't need "maintenance" as
such and thus doesn't need any GUI management tools really. It should just
chug along in a corner until something goes bump. Restarting a crashed
backend should also not require much if anything in the way of GUI fluff
surrounding it.