[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Sep 14 00:34:45 UTC 2011

On 14/09/2011, at 12:16 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> I'm about to start building my Myth backend and I can't seem to find
>> anything that discusses the pros and cons of installing the OS (Fedora 15)
>> as console only or GUI, ie install KDE as well.
>>
>> So, other than a bit of disk space, is there any reason why I shouldn't
>> install KDE when I set it up ?
>>

> The less you install, the less you have to worry about from a security point
> of view.  Even though I run my MythTV systems on a closed network, I still
> try to be security conscious.  I disable or completely uninstall all
> services I'm not using (avahi, cups, etc.).  I don't install OpenOffice or
> other large packages if I don't plan to use them.  If I need something, it's
> a simple yum install to get it.
>
> Taking this approach makes patching and upgrades a lot quicker since there's
> less to download and install on each host.

I quite disagree.

a) You're building a backend, what security issues are going to plague you

b) If you are not behind a router with suitable firewall, then enable the firewall on the distro

c) Even for seasoned CLI jocks, and I consider myself one, the occasional GUI sys-admin tool saves heaps, when you need it.

d) IMHO the only really effective CLI admin stuff is SuSE's YAST.

e) Disk space is a laugh, the whole GUI install is what 10min of myth, real numbers FC text is about 400M GUI about 2G

James