[mythtv-users] Fwd: RC "Broadcast" flag (KQED, CableCard)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Sep 13 04:00:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:06 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I have a question.  Please don't read anything into this, as
> I honestly don't know the answer: if setting the flag is in violation
> as your link suggests, why would CableCard devices be "obliged" to
> obey it?

The FCC rule only applies to OTA local channels delivered via cable.
The CableLabs rule, on the other hand, is an across the board
requirement. In theory, your cable provider could (assuming they were
REALLY trusting and contracts didn't prohibit it) broadcast HBO in
clear QAM with no CCI info. In that case, since no specific protection
was specified by the cable provider, it would fall back to whatever
copy protection was specified in the broadcast stream provided by HBO.
It's probably meant to cover situations where the cable provider
forgot to configure CCI info or a system malfunctions and the CCI goes
missing (god forbid you accidentally got access to content you pay
for).

--
Ron Frazier